As you get your kids ready for the new school year it is important that your kids are not carrying to much on their backs. Here are just a few back pack tips to consider:
- A child’s backpack should NEVER weigh more than 10-15% of your child’s weight. Request that unnecessary items be left at school or home and only carry what is essential for the day.
- When arranging items in a backpack keep the heavier items closer to your back.
- When shopping for a backpack look for one that has 2 wide padded shoulder straps that are adjustable (avoid one shoulder bags), one that has multiple compartments to help evenly distribute weight, or better yet one with wheels so the student can roll the bag instead of carrying it.
- When lifting the backpack , bend with the knees or keep the backpack at a higher level such as a table. Avoid any swinging or twisting motion when putting it on.
- Attend our FREE backpack workshop on Tuesday August 25, 2015 at 6:30 pm at Muskego Health and Wellness Center to avoid backpack injuries to your child.
See you there
Dr. Kurtz (Schaefer)