- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup split peas
- 1/2 cup pearl barley (lentils may be substituted to make gluten free)
- 1 (400 g) can tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato puree or 1/2 cup ketchup
- salt and pepper
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/4 hr
- Saute the onion in the oil until fragrant.
- Add the celery and carrot. Continue to saute until the whole lot is beginning to soften and smell aromatic.
- Tip in the barley(or lentils) and split peas. Add 8 cups of water, reduce heat, and allow to simmer for about 40 minutes or until the legumes and grains are beginning to become tender.
- Add the tomatoes and puree. Stir and allow to simmer for another 20-30 minutes to allow flavors to meld. If it looks as if it is drying out, add a cup of water.
- Season to taste before serving.