- 2 ½ pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Sea Salt
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 4 ribs celery from the heart, chopped
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp flour (try oat)
- 2 c turkey or chicken broth
- A few dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 10 oz. box frozen peas
- 1/3 ripe banana, sliced
- A few dashes of hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 8 oz). Cheese alternative can be substituted
- In a large sauce pan, combine the sweet potatoes and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, salt the water and cook until tender, 15 minutes. Drain and set aside, reserving the pot.
- While the sweet potatoes cook, preheat the oven to 425. In a deep skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the turkey and cook, breaking up with a spoon. Stir in the onion , carrots, celery and poultry seasoning. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 Tbsp. butter over medium heat. Whisk in the floor for 1 minute then whisk in the turkey broth and season with salt, pepper and the Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for a few minutes until thickened, then stir into the turkey mixture. Stir in the peas and remove from the heat.
- Add the remaining 2 Tbsp butter to the sweet-potato pot and melt over medium-low heat. Add the sweet potatoes and banana; season with salt, pepper and the hot sauce and mash until combined.
Top the turkey with sweet potato mixture and smooth the top. Cover the sweet potatoes with the cheddar and bake until the cheese is completely melted, about 5 minutes.