Depression is a mood disorder and it’s much more common than you’d think. In fact MIND, the mental health charity believes that around one in four people in Canada will suffer depression every year. Despite this, it’s much misunderstood, is often seen the signal of personal weakness, and not everyone who experiences it recognises what they’re going through. But some experts say, hypnotherapy can treat depression. is it right? Let’s get deep into this:
How do you know if you’re depressed?
Although depression ranges from mild to severe, it’s more than feeling ‘down’ or ‘sad’ for a few days. It’s one of those conditions which affects each of us differently, but you might have depression if you
- feel sad, hopeless (‘what’s the point?’) or deeply unhappy
- can’t be bothered to do things you used to enjoy
- feel tearful or find yourself crying for no specific reason
- feel tired or listless a lot
- find concentrating on things more difficult than usual
- change your behaviour patterns around food, sleep, sex,
- think about self-harm, death or suicide
People who are depressed often experience stress or anxiety as well.
Hypnotherapy and depression
Lifestyle changes will often be a part of reducing your depression, such as getting more exercise and ‘me time’, and cutting down on alcohol, tobacco and unhealthy foods.
Unfortunately, the depression itself can make this difficult. When you are depressed, it’s often hard to see the ‘light at the end of the tunnel’ that tells you that you can feel better or to find the energy to do the things that will make that happen.
Help is at hand, though. As you might have seen elsewhere on this site, hypnotherapy can offer support with many of the changes your GP might ask you to make as part of treating your depression.
- it can teach you relaxation techniques for regular use
- it can support you as you quit, control or reduce your smoking
- it can support you as you change to healthier food choices
- it can help you find the motivation to exercise more regularly
- it can teach you techniques to deal with negative thinking and worrying so you feel more positive
Learn about hypnotherapy. How hypnotherapy depression treatment works. Effectiveness, long-term results, comparison to traditional therapies.